About the role
Aspire Academies is a Multi Academies Trust (MAT) comprising of six primary schools, and a Training Centre across Hemel Hempstead and Watford. We currently supporting over 2500 students and 350 staff and are looking for two new Trustees to join our Board from September 2022.
The Board of Trustees has 3 core responsibilities:
- ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- holding executive leaders to account
- overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure money is well spent
Whilst the day to day running of the Trust is delegated to the CEO and Central Services Team there are additional responsibilities, including but not limited to, in relation to the Boards role as:
- employer and therefore ensuring compliance with employment law
- controller of premises (e.g. health & safety, environmental law)
- having wider financial responsibilities (e.g. HMRC Revenue & Customs, Charity Commission)
- admission authority
- appellant body for complaints, appeals and panels
- being responsible for operating within company law
- data controller
This is a strategic, not operational role, the Board ensures the Trust does the right things, for the right people, in the right way – governance ensures, management does.
The role offers:
- a chance to develop your own personal skills
- access to a programme of free training in respect of education/governance matters
- a sense of achievement in helping make a difference to children reaching their potential
- support and guidance from fellow trustees
In looking to fill these vacancies we are interested in applications from people with the skills outlined below but this is not essential - what is more important is enthusiasm, interest and the willingness to learn.
The trust seeks a trustee with:
- Strong finance, audit and risk experience, the ideal candidate will demonstrate finance experience from an education or commercial setting, including evidence of contribution to growing a business, as well as experience of business mergers and acquisitions.
- A background within the education sector, the ideal candidate will have in-depth experience managing a school, academy or Multi Academy Trust, with a specific skill set in school improvement.
- Experience within Human Resources, the ideal candidate will demonstrate experience in managing staffing within a large organisation. To include pay & remuneration, performance management, staff disciplinary and grievances
Trusteeship is a voluntary, unpaid role for people who have the energy and skills to make a real contribution to shaping the future of our schools. You do not need to have any specialist knowledge of education. The Board meets 6 times per year during the working day, the majority of which are virtual to limit travelling, you will be expected to attend the meetings, comment on reports and support the Trust to uphold its vision, values and ethos.
If you would be interested in hearing more information about our vacancies we would love to speak with you. Please contact the Trust’s Governance Officer Sarah Pugh, email@example.com.
Aspire Academies Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. We expect all staff to share this commitment. The successful applicants will be expected to undertake an enhanced DBS check and provide character references.
There are no documents available for this job
If you are having difficulty in opening documents, please right click and save onto your computer, then open the document where you have saved it.