About the role
Please apply as soon as possible as shortlisting/interviews will progress up until the closing date. Should a suitable candidate be appointed, we reserve the right to close the advert early.
Merchant Taylors’ School is a large Independent Boys’ School, situated in 286 acres of parkland in Northwood, Middlesex. The School was founded in 1561, is owned by the Merchant Taylors’ Educational Trust and moved to its present site in 1933. There are four distinct boys’ day schools on campus. The Nursery, the Pre-Prep & the Prep cater for 340 boys, while the Senior School has some 930 pupils. The School employs over 140 teachers and 160 Support staff across Merchant Taylors’ School.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Undertake routine preparation and maintenance work on a range of sports facilities and surfaces. Undertake all preparatory and cultivation work to maintain safe quality playing surfaces.
- Set up all sports pitches or amenity surfaces. Undertake minor construction and landscaping work. Follows standard procedures requiring knowledge of the functional area.
- Drive vehicles and equipment as required for grounds maintenance operations.
- Ensure vehicles and equipment used by self and work group are regularly maintained in accordance with routine operating requirements. Monitor the use of consumable items and spares and make arrangements for their replenishment.
- Ensure the safe use, storage, calibration and disposal of pesticides and other similar substances. Promote the Health and Safety of self and others. Respond to emergencies.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with managers, colleagues and end users.
- Make recommendations to supervisor regarding improved work systems, labour and machinery utilisation.
- Maintain good communications with customers and end users.
8.00 am – 5.00 pm Monday to Friday
8.00 am – 12.00 noon One in four Saturdays
(Autumn and Spring Term)
8.00 am – 12 noon Alternative Saturdays
(Summer Term Only)
8.00 am – 4.00 pm Monday to Friday, only.
Some extra hours will be required during the summer term to cope with the demands of cricket at the school.
The hours worked will be 40 hours per week on average over the year (shorter working week in the winter)
15% employer contribution to a defined contribution pension scheme (Contributory)
Life cover 4 x annual salary and income protection.
Access to a cash flexible benefit in lieu of pension contribution
Access to a number of lifestyle benefits including Cycle to Work, ULEV cars, health screening, medical cover and retail discount vouchers via our benefit provider
(all of the above subject to eligibility criteria)
Use of School leisure facilities, including pool, gym and lake.
Lunch provided free of charge when the School Catering Department is open
Free parking on site.
It is the post holder’s responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young persons for whom s/he is responsible, or with whom s/he comes into contact and to adhere to and ensure compliance with the School’s Safeguarding Policy Statement at all times. If in the course of carrying out the duties of the post, the post holder becomes aware of any actual or potential risks to the safety or welfare of children in the School s/he must report any concerns to the Head Master
If you are having difficulty in opening documents, please right click and save onto your computer, then open the document where you have saved it.