About the role
WHO WE ARE
Future Academies are the leading front-line provider for Latin in state schools in England and were recently awarded the bid for the Department for Education's Latin Excellence Programme. In all Future Academies schools, Latin is taught at KS3 on timetable to all students for 100 minutes a week. We teach a bespoke KS3 Latin curriculum, designed specifically to ensure that students of all abilities can succeed. In our flagship schools, this has led to GCSE recruitment of up to 50% and excellent results, including proportionate representation and excellent progress from lower-prior attaining, special educational needs and PP-eligible students.
Since joining Future Academies in September 2020, Future Academies Watford has quickly established a successful Classics department, with, for example, very positive responses from students and parents about KS3 Latin and, via word of mouth, an unforeseen 30 students a year choosing the subject for GCSE ab initio.
As part of the Latin Excellence Programme, the successful applicant will be regularly supported by a Lead Teacher, who will work with them to ensure the consistency of high-quality teaching across the department and the continued successful trajectory of Latin and Classics across the school. In addition, the successful applicant will also receive regular CPD linked to our curriculum and successful teaching habits. For this reason the Head of Department role would be ideal for an ambitious recently qualified teacher as well as those with more experience.
WHO YOU ARE
You will have the ability to inspire young people, instilling a love of History both as an academic subject and applying it to the world around them. You will be a tireless advocate for your subject and forward thinking in your approaches to development, change and improvement; we are developing an academic culture where the highest standards are expected of staff and students in line with the Future Academies belief system.
As the successful applicant, you will have:
- A strong academic record from a leading university in your subject field
- Great passion for your subject with high cultural literacy to deliver sophisticated lessons and continue to raise teaching standards within Latin
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- The ambition and determination we expect from all of our staff to continue striving for excellence
- The enthusiasm and energy required to work with the children and young people in our schools
- An unwavering belief in the power of education to change lives, as per our trust’s motto, libertas per cultum (freedom through education). We expect all teachers to share in, and feel empowered by, this concept
- The chance to make a difference to children’s and young people’s lives. Future Academies is of the belief that all children have the right to enriching education through a knowledge-rich and child-centric approach.
- Fast career progression. Because knowledge and intelligence, rather than length of service, are lauded and rewarded at Future Academies, teachers and support staff can quickly take up great responsibility, adding to their already exceptional experience and knowledge, joining the SLT or writing for the Trust’s Curriculum Centre, where our in-house textbooks are produced.
- Excellent CPD. The Trust is knowledge-centric and encourages CPD at all levels with excellent opportunities for swift career progression, within the Academy and Trust. This includes Leadership Development opportunities.
- Knowledge-rich staff team. You will be working with a supportive leadership team, cohesive staff body, and very purposeful environment with excellent resources. Being part of a Trust of schools enables you to share knowledge across a wider range of educational professionals.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in applying for the post of Head of Latin at Future Academies Watford, please click on the Apply button to complete an online application form.
We look forward to receiving your application. Future Academies reserves the right to interview and appoint prior to the advert closing date.
Future Academies Watford is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. To this end both an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check and a Barred List check are required for this role. We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.
There are no documents available for this job
If you are having difficulty in opening documents, please right click and save onto your computer, then open the document where you have saved it.