About the role
Lonsdale School, located in Stevenage, Hertfordshire provides high quality care and education for physically and neurologically impaired young people aged 3-18 years. Each of our pupils have unique and sometimes complex needs. The Governors are seeking to appoint an aspirational and innovative individual to serve as our Headteacher from January 2024. Lonsdale has a Residential Educational Provision (REP) which is currently closed. It is expected that HCC will run a consultation on the future of REP in September 2023, with a view to closing it and changing it into additional day places.
As the new Headteacher, you will play a pivotal role in shaping the future of our young people, ensuring they have the skills and qualifications, are resilient and have the confidence to take on the many opportunities that lie ahead of them.
Lonsdale – learning for life!
Belief, ambition, and community are three things in particular that matter to all of us who learn, teach and work here. In achieving this we are looking for a headteacher who:
- Has the leadership skills, experience, and motivation to deliver a clear vision along with an effective strategy for leading Lonsdale into the future.
- Will see each member of the school community as an individual and have an approachable attitude towards everyone.
- Will ensure all students are engaged, happy and fulfilled at school.
- Has a holistic approach and will promote and invest in people, staff, their CPD and ambitions to get the best out of them.
- Will support everyone in our setting to reach beyond what they can do through the provision of an innovative and ambitious curriculum that addresses the specific needs of our pupils, and that promotes their academic, personal, and social development so they can grow into confident, outward-looking young people.
- Can collaborate with staff, parents, carers, multi agencies and external professionals to establish effective partnerships with the wider community.
- Will foster a culture of belonging and inclusion amongst everyone in the school community, promoting a safe and supportive environment that celebrates the unique abilities and achievements of all.
Lonsdale School is proud to be a community school and has strong links and relationships with parents, families, associated professionals, and the local community. In November 2019, we were awarded Good by Ofsted. Please view our report here. Our Residential provision closed in Nov 2022, but it was still inspected by Ofsted in March 2023 and judged as RI as a result of being closed.
If you share our commitment to ‘learning for life’ and have the belief and ambition to lead us forward on our journey, we look forward to welcoming you into our community.
We encourage you to visit the school prior to completing your application. Please contact Samantha Cushion, our School Business Manager, via email on firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a visit. Visits are with Anna Drury, our safeguarding governor and are available on Friday 15 September, at either 12pm or 2pm or Friday 22 September at 8am or 10am. Please allow 2 hours for your visit. Alternative arrangements can be made if necessary.
How to apply:
Please apply online using the link below or download the attachment and send your completed application form to: email@example.com CVs will not be considered.
Lonsdale School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Appointment to this post is subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check as well as other pre-appointment checks, including an online check, as outlined in Keeping Children Safe in Education (September 2022).
To help us meet our high standards and aspirations of a fully diverse and inclusive workplace, we strongly encourage suitably qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply and to join us.
If you are having difficulty in opening documents, please right click and save onto your computer, then open the document where you have saved it.