About the role
We are looking to appoint two enthusiastic and committed Governors to join our team at Tannery Drift First School. Tannery Drift is a successful two form entry First School in Royston, North Hertfordshire with a highly dedicated team of staff. Governors at the school work closely with the senior leadership team to support and challenge, aiming to maximise opportunities for all pupils to learn, thrive and get the most out of school life.
About the role
We are looking to recruit two governors to bring new skills, interests, experience and ideas to our team. You do not need any specific qualifications to be a school governor as full training will be given, you just need an interest in education and the ability to give some of your time. No previous knowledge of how an educational setting is organised is required.
Although this is a voluntary role, you will be part of a friendly and supportive team of governors who contribute to the continued success of the school. Governors are vital to the strategic running of the school. They ensure that the school remains true to its vision and ethos, and support the headteacher in relation to the academic progress of the school and performance management of the staff team. Governors also oversee the finances of the school.
Governors are expected to attend 5 evening meetings during the year as well as joining at least one sub-committee which meet on a termly basis. The time commitment can vary throughout the year; however, it is roughly 6-8 hours a month to enable you to read paperwork and attend meetings. The majority of meetings are held in person at school; however, we do have facilities to allow governors to join meetings remotely if required.
What are we looking for?
We would be keen to hear from anyone who has:
- an open and enquiring mind, with the confidence to ask questions and join in debate
- the ability to work well with others
- the ability to commit around 6-8 hours per month in attending meetings and reading papers
At the current time, we would particularly welcome applications from those with any of the following experience or skills in order to broaden our current Governing Board skills base:
- ICT or technology background
- Project management skills
- professional skills and experience within education, safeguarding and Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND);
- specialist skills such as budget management, data analysis, human resources, health and safety or legal work are also beneficial to the role but not essential.
We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. Each new governor is an opportunity for us to bring in a different perspective, and we are always eager to further diversify our board.
What can we offer?
- A chance to develop skills in strategic management
- The opportunity to work with our team of governors and staff in improving educational outcomes for the children
- A sense of achievement in making a difference to our school and helping pupils reach their potential
For information about what is involved in being a governor you may like to look at the National Governors' Association website. You will also find some more information about becoming a governor on our school website www.tannerydrift.herts.sch.uk.
How to apply:
If this sounds like something that would interest you, please email our Chair of Governors at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on how to apply for this role.
The closing date for all applications is Friday 6th October 2023.
Following the closing date, a meeting for shortlisted candidates will be arranged with our Chair and Vice Chair.
Tannery Drift First School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All posts are subject to DBS checks and other relevant safeguarding screening processes.
If you are having difficulty in opening documents, please right click and save onto your computer, then open the document where you have saved it.