About the role
Heathlands School, St Albans
Required as soon as possible
Specialist Learning Support Assistant (dual sensory impairment)
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the staff of this vibrant, local authority special school for deaf children aged 3-16. We are seeking to appoint a Learning Support Assistant to work with a KS3 pupil who has a visual and learning impairment in addition to hearing loss. The LSA will work in partnership with a colleague to be responsible for supporting the young person’s access to the curriculum, their social interaction with others and participation in all aspects of school life.
Candidates with qualifications and/or experience of working with children are invited to apply. The successful candidate will have
- Good Communication skills in BSL (minimum BSL2 with a commitment to achieve BSL3)
- Qualification in written English at Level 2 e.g. GCSE grade C or above
- Strong ICT skills
- Understanding of child development and how children learn
- Flexibility, initiative and common sense
- A calm and patient manner
- Good organisational and time management skills
- Proactivity regarding our professional development and the ability to apply learning to practice.
The ideal candidate would also have some knowledge and experience of working with children who have both visual and hearing impairments or be committed to undertake training. This is a temporary position subject to ongoing funding from the placing LA.
Hours: 32.5 per week, term time only
Pay Scale: H4 £9.68 per hour
Heathlands is committed to safeguarding pupils. This post requires an enhanced DBS check. Safer recruiting practices will be followed.
To apply for this vacancy a Job Application Form and Person Specification Forms should be completed and returned to:
The Head Teacher, Heathlands School, Heathlands Drive, St Albans AL3 5AY
Closing date: 8 March 2019 at 12 noon
If you are having difficulty in opening documents, please right click and save onto your computer, then open the document where you have saved it.