Overseas applicants

You must have qualified teacher status (QTS) to take up a teaching post in England in a maintained school or non-maintained special school. The same requirement to hold QTS is not in place for free schools or for academies (depending on their funding agreement).

The Teaching Regulation Agency (TRA), an executive agency of the Department for Education, is the awarding body for QTS. For more information, see:

To fulfil employment requirements you will also need to provide:

  • Proof of identity
  • Verification of right to work in the United Kingdom
  • Overseas police check (if applicable) – police clearance checks need to be issued within 3 months prior to leaving an overseas country
  • Qualifications that meet UK equivalent standards – check on the NARIC website
  • Proof of address
  • National Insurance number
  • UK bank account details
  • Minimum of two verified and authenticated references. Candidates must submit the two most recent professional reference letters or referee contact details. All referees are then contacted to verify authenticity. References are assessed to ensure candidates’ suitability to work in schools
  • Enhanced DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) clearance. For further information, see
  • Fitness to work and occupational health clearance