Teacher training in universities

On these training programmes, you will be based at a university and have classroom placements in a school. You can do an undergraduate (BEd or BA/BSc) three-year full-time course, or a postgraduate (PGCE) one-year full-time course.

Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)

This is the route for those who already have a degree and wish to train as a secondary or primary school teacher. A PGCE course will develop teaching skills, and many courses may also provide support for the development of subject knowledge. PGCE courses involve a mixture of lectures, seminars and other taught sessions at the university, as well as teaching placements in schools. Dedicated subject knowledge enhancement (SKE) courses may be available in some secondary subjects prior to embarking on the course:

Undergraduate initial teacher training (ITT) courses

For those who do not already have an undergraduate degree, a Bachelor of Education (BEd) or Bachelor of Arts (BA) / Bachelor of Science (BSc) with qualified teacher status (QTS) course is available. These courses enable you to study for a degree and complete your ITT at the same time.

The basic entry requirements for ITT are as follows:

  • GCSE maths grade C or above (or equivalent)
  • GCSE English grade C or above (or equivalent)
  • For those applying for primary teaching only: GCSE science grade C or above (or equivalent)
  • A good degree for postgraduate routes into teaching; the grade required will be determined by the university awarding QTS
  • You must have also passed the two professional skills tests, in literacy and numeracy, before you start the course (although not necessarily before you apply or are interviewed). More information:

For more information visit: