VIEW ALL OUR JOBS >
Townsend is located on the edge of the lovely historic Cathedral City of St Albans. In January 2015 our Ofsted report said that we were good in all areas inspected and our last denominational inspection said that we were an outstanding school in all respects. We have a lovely 15 acre site with countryside on three sides and the school is close to superb transport links situated only a few miles from the M25, M1 and A1 and close to fast main line train links to London. Due to our location all teaching salaries are paid at the higher London Fringe level. Townsend is the only voluntary aided Church of England Secondary School in Hertfordshire. Four services are held in St Albans Cathedral each year. You do not have to be a Christian or a practising member of the Church of England to work here although you should be in sympathy and supportive of our ethos and practices. We actively reserve and offer pupil places to families who have no faith or have a non-Christian faith in addition to families with a Christian faith. The school is genuinely open to all. We are a nice school – why not visit us? Also, please look at our well-developed website (www.townsend.herts.sch.uk) for more information about our school – and please feel free to telephone us if you want more information or to explore things further. 01727 853047.
Andrew Wellbeloved - the headteacher says.......
As a Church of England secondary school with pupils and staff from a wide area, we offer something very special: a long tradition of a high quality education which develops the personality and talents of every child in our care. The school is open to everyone and you do not have to go to Church to apply for admission or to work here – children and staff of other faiths and those of no faith are very welcome at Townsend if they support our ethos.
As a faith school, we are very conscious of our mission to provide children with more than just academic success. We are a school with clear principles and ideals based on a clear ethos, and this ethos is central to our success. Our great strength is that we keep reminding ourselves of what every parent/carer knows: children learn best when they are happy. We provide a stimulating learning environment where all children can achieve, whatever their ability or aptitude.
All students and staff are valued as individuals and all flourish in a community that lives by the values of tolerance, love, compassion and respect for each other. We uphold the traditional values of good manners and hard work and have high expectations of all our students and staff. Our teaching encourages independent learning and provides students with those skills and qualities that they need to take them through the 21st century.
We instil a love of learning and offer a wealth of cultural, social and sporting activities through which children can find and develop new interests and skills. I look forward to welcoming you into our lively and thriving community.
Our most recent Ofsted report says wonderful things about our school and I urge you to read it to see just how impressed the inspectors were when they visited our school.
Townsend is surrounded on three sides by open countryside and has over 15 acres of playing fields and landscaped areas. Townsend has one of St Albans City’s most attractive school sites. The school has benefited from much refurbishment and improvement over recent years, resulting in good accommodation and resources to complement our examination results and our good Ofsted inspection report.
We aim to provide our students not only with academic success but with those experiences that will develop their individuality, confidence and skills, so that they are ready to enjoy the opportunities and challenges of the 21st century. We encourage students to think about what they are going to do next and help them to make informed decisions at every stage of their development.
When our students leave Townsend, for university, further education or for employment, they take with them not only sound academic qualifications, but also an understanding of the world in which they live, confidence, kindness and the commitment to succeed in whatever they choose to do.
A strong programme of continuing professional development supports staff. All teaching areas have a computer data projector, an interactive whiteboard, and fibre optic cable broadband internet access. All staff are issued with a laptop computer and a wireless network is available throughout the school. Resources are good and our staff very supportive of each other. We expect our staff to play a full part in team development of teaching and learning strategies and to bring verve and flair to our school. You are very welcome to contact us to discuss possibilities. Email:- firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone:- 01727 853047
Although this is a Church of England School you do not have to adhere to the Christian faith to work here - but you need to be in sympathy with and supportive of our work.
New or recently refurbished facilities at Townsend School include
- We have a partnership with the St Albans Music School, part of the Hertfordshire Music Service, who operate from our purpose built music suite and also deliver our music teaching, organise our visiting music specialist teachers and tuition, and provide extra-curricular music – such as choirs, bands, orchestra, wind groups etc.
- A state-of-the-art Discovery and Independent Learning Centre that also houses our library and some of our extensive computing faculties - including 50 additional wireless laptop computers for use in the Independent Learning Centre.
- Seven computer suites networked by fibre optic cable that runs throughout the school and with Wi-Fi internet access also available throughout the whole school site.
- Eight specialist refurbished science laboratories.
- All teaching areas have broadband internet access, interactive whiteboards and computer data projectors as well as traditional specialist resources.
- A dedicated modern Technology Centre with two lovely fully-equipped food technology rooms and refurbished electronics and resistant material areas/workshops.
- A modern fully resourced and dedicated Sixth Form Centre with private study rooms, computer room with student Wi-Fi computer access, teaching rooms, seminar rooms, and a comfortable Post-16 student common room/social area.
- A prayer and reflection room is provided and organised by pupils for pupils.
- Picnic and landscaped areas with outdoor seating and two canteens.
- A 25 metre heated indoor swimming pool.
- An ECB (English Cricket Board) Standard artificial cricket pitch.
- Six hard tennis and netball courts.
- A fully equipped gymnasium.
- Two extensive sports playing fields used for athletics, rounders, football, rugby and many other team games.
- Covered walkways for student and staff comfort and a huge canopy for sun and wet weather shelter.
- Double glazing and zoned electronic doors across the school site.
- All student toilets and changing rooms have been completely refurbished.
- Conference and seminar facilities – available for hire but available for use by our students and staff during the day.